Roxby Downs was originally a cattle station years ago. The site of the town was no more than desolate outback paddocks. A few workers were the first to arrive, some with young families in tow, and they set up a caravan and tent city. Conditions were challenging but the fledgling town grew with a strong sense of community driven by an Australian pioneering spirit.
Infrastructure was completed during 1987/1988 and the town was officially opened on 5 November 1988.
The name Roxby Downs comes from the name of the original pastoral station.
Olympic Dam Mine was named after a livestock watering dam on the Roxby Downs pastoral lease under which the ore body lies. The dam was built during the Melbourne Olympic Games in 1956 and is very close to the discovery drill site.
The Olympic Dam Mine and the township of Roxby Downs were officially opened on 5th November 1988. 2013 was the 25th Anniversary.